How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I am a Permanent Resident here in United Kingdom originally

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am a Permanent Resident here in United Kingdom originally from Philippines. I'm currently married to a British woman. Unfortunately, i got an affair with another French woman and i made her pregnant. I would like to know what will gonna be the nationality of the baby here in UK if its born here. Thanks.

What nationality are you please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I still have the Philippine nationality but i do have the indefinite leave to remain visa here in UK.


Thanks for your patience.

If you have Indefinite Leave to Remain and the child is born in the UK then the child will acquire British Citizenship Otherwise than by descent providing that you are permanently settled in the UK.

This is under s1(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

This means that she will have full UK nationality, will be able to apply for a UK passport and will also be able to pass her UK citizenship on to such of her own children that are born outside the UK.

It may be that she also is entitled to French citizenship via the child’s mother but you would have to refer to a French lawyer for absolute confirmation on this.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But im married to a British woman, does it affects the nationality of the baby??? i mean are there any conflicts with that??? Im Filipino which has only ILR here in UK, Im married to a British woman and will be getting soon an illegitimate child from a French lady. I just want to secure the future of my baby. Thanks!!!


No, it does not change the position.

"legitimacy" of the child is not relevant here. If one of the child's parents is settled in the UK - which means that you have "indefinate leave to remain " - and they are born in the UK then they will qualify for UK citizenship.

Please refer to 1(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 here for confirmation:-

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much... Atleast i can assure a better future for my baby... Thanks again!!!

No problem.

Thanks for rating my answer.


Related UK Family Law Questions