How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner of 7 years has left me and moved out of our house.

This answer was rated:

My partner of 7 years has left me and moved out of our house. She says that she is sarting court action against me to claim half the equity in the house. I paid 100% deposit and mortgage repayments on the house. Can I legally change the locks on the house so she can't collect/read my mail while i'm working? She can have access while i'm there if she needs it.



Are you jointly named as registered propreitors of the property?

Did you execute a declaration of trust declaring your percentage interests in the property or otherwise?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry,forgot to say we are jointly named on the deeds and mortgage.


We don't have anything declaring percentage interests in the property.



Hi Rich,

Are there any children of the relationship?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has 13 year old son from a previous relationship,he's never met his father. I've brought him up 'as my own' .I love him to bits. Looks like I'll not see him again as she wants a clean break tho.





Thanks for your patience.

First of all, if you and you partner presently hold the house jointly (as joint tenants) then each person's share would pass to the other upon death regardless of any directon made in any Will. If this is not what you want then you should sever the joint tenancy by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to them and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

You will then hold you interests as tenants in common, meaning that your respective shares will pass according to their wills or under the intestacy rules. Your partner need not sign the form provided you follow the instructions.

If you are both jointly named on the title for the property then you cannot deny her access unless there is a court order stating that she is not permitted access pursuant to criminal or civil proceedings.

The bad news (regrettably) is that in the absence of any express agreement there is presumption that the proceeds of sale are split equally. I

f either party contributed more the financing of the purchase or has maintained the majority of the mortgage then this may be taken in to account and they will receive more of the proceeds of sale, but (big but) you would have to litigate and fund the litigation privately and would probably not be able to claim costs from here. It is usually better to negotiate and settle unless one party is being particularly unreasonable in their demands.

She can force the sale of the property by making an application to Court. If you cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy her out and transfer the equity in to your name it’s likely that the Court would make an order for sale.

You’ve got to try and be clever here. You know her. You’ve got to try and manage her in the best way possible to be able to buy her out at the cheapest price.

Sorry I could not have better news for you
Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions