Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert

I am married to an Egyptian national who is resident in Qatar.

I am married to an Egyptian national who is resident in Qatar. We married 2 years ago at the Egyptian embassy in Qatar. After recent business problems he has received a prison sentance for failure to pay the rental/lease on his business premises. He was taken into custody 2 days ago.

I want to urgently bring my stepson aged 9 to the UK. My husband is happy for me to legally adopt his son.

Can I process this quickly?

Will that give my stepson, Mohammed, the right to join me in UK?

Is there a way of getting a visa on compassionate grounds for him to join me in UK?

Awan-Legal :

You can bring your step son over on the basis of adoption but unfortunately this is a lengthy process.

The immigration rules require as follows:

Awan-Legal :

The process can take around one year and you will need to get in touch with your council (local authority) to adopt a child abroad - you should speak with them and explain the urgency of the adoption and that it is in the child's best interests to do so as soon as possible. They will be best placed to advise on whether the process can be done sooner as they will be responsible for the adoption process.

Further information can be found here:

Awan-Legal :

Please rate my answer as positive, thanks.