Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My mother was born in Ireland but has no birth certifcate father

My mother was born in Ireland but has no birth certifcate father now deceased, born in England, I am 26, born in England and trying to obtain a passport but they say they need my mothers birth certificate!! I do not know where to turn
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What have they said in response to you informing them that she does not have a birth certificate?

What is the explanation for your mother not having a birth certificate?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Was told to try all local churches in Ireland near to where mum was born!! All paperwork work went missing in Ireland - I was brought up by other members of family not mum

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Must try to locate church near to where she was born and ask them (there are literally hundreds of churches in the area)!! Or I have been advised that I have to apply for British citizenship.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Okay. I think what you should do is take the correspondence and copy of the application to a local immigration solicitor for a consultation with a view to executing a statutory declaration about the position.

A statutory declaration is a sworn statement by a person in front of a solicitor. It is an offence to misrepresent a statement sworn as a statutory declaration.

In it you should explain the background of the application and your mother’s lack of a birth certificate. You should also explain that you have been and remain estranged from your mother.

You should confirm in detail your efforts at searching for her birth certificate and explain that you have exhausted all avenues that a reasonable person could be expected to exhaust.

I would suggest that this is done and then sent to the passport service by the solicitor in a covering letter explaining that your citizenship derives from having been born in the UK to a British by birth father after 1983 and that your case for citizenship is proved and therefore that you are entitled to a UK passport.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor