Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I own a property with my wife in joint ownership She left 19

I own a property with my wife in joint ownership She left 19 years ago.Can I change the ownership to tenants in common.Is it easy to do and is it expensive?My wife would be very obstructive.

Thanks for your patience.

Yes you can do it and, yes, it’s easy and free (I believe).

You can sever the joint tenancy by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to your wife and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

You will then hold their interests as tenants in common, meaning that your respective shares will pass according to your wills or under the intestacy rules. Your wife need not sign the form provided you follow the instructions, but you will have to confirm on the form that you have served it on here.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,