How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my husband is british born,hold a british passport,both

This answer was rated:

my husband is british born,hold a british passport,both parents are british.we live in Bermuda and we having a baby.we need to know if we have to register her birth in uk(and if yes where and which form we need to fill out),and then apply for a british passport
thank you

Thanks for your patience.

Assuming that the child has at least one British born parent (with UK grandparents) then they would qualify for UK citizenship and a passport.

If the birth occurred in Bermuda then this should be where it is registered. You can’t then register the birth as occurring in the UK. In any event the child will have “uk citizenship by descent”. This means that they have full UK rights but they can only automatically pass on their UK citizenship to such of their children that are born in the UK.

You can apply for a passport from Bermuda:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what we are asking is do we have to register her birth in uk as well as bermuda.the form for passport says the child should be register in uk


No, sorry, I should have clarified. You don't physically have to register the child in the UK but you should register it with consulate nearest to you:-

Please remember to rate my answer .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my husband and i wondering if we can get help from you filling the right form(and which sections) for the passport and what exactly documents we need for it.

and how much it will cost?

thank you


I can't accept instructions from customers I'm afraid.

If you have general questions you can request me and I'll attempt to answer, but it will be easy enough. The fee should be on the first link that I sent you somewhere.

The fee is $134 and there is further guidance here:-

Please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay,thank you anyway.i just check the link for register her birth you give me:

well,we read it,but then we got "before applying for consular birth registration" and "exceptions" countries:....the british overseas territories.

now,i dont understand it



I'm out on my phone at the moment.

May I answer in detail tomorrow?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


when you have a chance maybe you can help us.thanks

Sorry, drafting your answer now.


Sorry again for the delay in replying.

Bermuda is a British Overseas territories. Therefore, on second reading they will probably not do a consular birth registration because of this.

Therefore you should be able to register using passport form C2 to get their UK passport.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions