Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

to put my property in trust to my children does the form have

to put my property in trust to my children does the form have to be signed by a solicitor

Thanks for your question.

Technically speaking the requirement is that that the trust agreement is executed as a deed, which means that the parties' signatures are witnessed by an independent witness over 18 years of age, who also signs then prints their name/address/occupation.

Therefore, it does not necessarily have to be witnessed by a solicitor but it is always preferable to do so in case there are subsequently any problems about whether the parties had capacity (to understand the implications of their decisions) or whether it was fraudulently executed. Having a soliciotr witness the document gives the parties' extra security.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,