Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

we are a married couple, but the house deeds are in the name

we are a married couple, but the house deeds are in the name of one spouse should that spouse dies what are the problems for the remaining spouse whoes name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds and whilst they are both alive what should be done to prevent future problems
Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. Do you have any children
2. Does the spouse named on the property have a Will and if so who does this leave their estate to
Kind regards.

Are you able to respond to the above post in order that I may provide you with an answer please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes we both have two children from previous marriages, we both have made proper wills bequeathing all to the surviving spouse , my concern is the surviving spouses name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds of the house, I understand getting your name on the deeds after death is more expensive and difficult .my with and i have one joint bank account current and savings for 29 years allthe morgage and expences are jointly shared. i am now given to believe if both are names are XXXXX XXXXX house deeds during our life time it is a simple matter and less expensive ,getting your name on the deed after the death of a spouse is time consuming the cost being in thouands than afew hundred.regards XXXXX XXXXX

Is there still a mortgage on the property or has this been paid off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mortgage is paid up and all bills are paid up from our joint account which originally was my partner then was a low paid worker 29 years ago and has never earned more than me .my spouses name was added to my bank account to facilitate managing the outgoing expences . regards alan howson

I'm on my phone at the moment, may I answer in about an hour please?

Thanks for your patience.

If there is no mortgage on the property and the spouse which owns the property passes away then if the Will directs that the non-owning spouse should inherit the property then it will pass to them without complication.

If the mortgage has been paid off then the mortgage company should have removed their charge on the property. You can check by downloading the property register for it and checking that the charge is not registered against it:-

I believe the service is not available on the weekend though.

If the non-owning spouse passes away then obviously nothing happens to the house because it will just remain in the ownership of the owning-spouse.

If the mortgage has been paid off then it’s relatively easy to transfer the property in to your joint names. A solicitor would be able to arrange this for you for about £200+VAT.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to know what the difficulty is when the spouse whoes name is XXXXX XXXXX deed dies first .the problems of the surviving spouse getting there name on the deed. would it not be better to do it whilst both are alive

Please read my above answer. The answer to your reply is contained in there.

If the owning spouse leaves a Will directing the non-owning spouse to inherit it and there is no mortgage then there is no problem at all - changing the deeds is easy.

However, this leaves the possibility that the owning-spouse could change their will and leave it to someone else. To get around this it would be more secure for the title to the property to be transferred in to their joint names. I have said above that it would cost around £200+vat.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,