Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

I am a doctor, married to another doctor. We have been married

Customer Question

I am a doctor, married to another doctor. We have been married 10 years and have 2 children, aged 7 and 4. We have a mortgage together of about £300.000 and have some £200.000 equity in the house.
I am thinking of divorce but do not know anything about practicalities. Husband would be willing to an amicable divorce and I would like that too. There is no question about me keeping both children, he has been a hopeless father.
I am from Romania, he is from Ireland. In terms of assets we have the house but no savings. His family have land in Ireland but I make no claim on that.
I need to know what type of money I would get in child support, he earns >_ £70.000. This is so I can budget my new home buy.
many thanks for your help.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Which part of the Uk are you in?
How much do you earn?
Claire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Live in London, earn also about £70.000.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Am I still to expect an answer? Are you based in the US? Is it the time difference? But then are are you alright with UK family law?

Many thanks,

Gabriela

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
My apologies for the delay - I had connection problems.
I am indeed in the UK and not the US although this is a US site.
Would you wish to stay in your current home?
Claire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Yes, we talked about 'buying him out' (splitting the equity), would be better for children as they would not have to change school. He might change his mind though, he is famous for it.

Does it matter? Why do you ask?

Gabriela

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
The priority for the court is the safe and secure housing of the children until they are 18 with the emphasis on the children's security and stability.
In addition your ex is under a duty to help you house the children until they are 18.
His child maintenance liability will be 20% of his net income (less if he has the children overnight more than 54 nights a year)
In addition he may not be able to force a sale of the house until your youngest is 18 - unless you can easily raise the money to buy him out or purchase another suitable property.
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your answer, I tried to accept it but somehow got denied access to the page?

It sounds like I should really get a lawyer, things are complicated when there are children and also 'ex' is not a reliable person, he changes his mind all the time...

Thanks again,

Gabriela

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.