Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

After 25 years of marriage I have decided to leave my husband

After 25 years of marriage I have decided to leave my husband in Birmingham but I want to relocate to Northern Ireland and take our 12 year old daughter with me because I will have much better support from my family there as I have none here. I do also have a 24 year old son who lives independent of us. My daughter is very excited about us moving as she has lots of cousins, aunts and uncles there. I have already found a school and a home for us. I do not want for my daughter to loose touch with her father so I intend to set up skype for them and as my son will still be living in Birmingham we will hope to visit alot. My husband is refusing to speak to me about this move. I am making all the arrangements about this alone and as I do not know what he is thinking I am worried that he can stop me from taking her.

Can you advise.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that you will need either his agreement or an Order from the Court to make this move.
If you do not obtain this then not only could your husband obtain an order preventing you from going until the matter had been fully considered by the court - he could get an order forcing you to return the Child to England after you have already moved.
You should get a solicitor to write a formal letter to him confirming your plans and saying that unless you hear otherwise you assume he consents
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How is the court case likely to go. Although he loves her very much and has provided well for her he is not very paternal at all. He works 7 days a week Monday to Friday from early morning and rarely home before 9.00pm. Saturday and Sunday from morning to 5.00pm. We do nothing together as a family and he never bothers with her at home.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You will need to offer to fund regular trips to the Uk for contact - it would be sensible to ask what contact he would like