Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How long do you have to be married before you can get divorced?

How long do you have to be married before you can get divorced? Been married for 9 months but we have been together nearly 7 years
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

In order for a UK court to issue a petition it is a requirement that a couple should be married for a minimum period of one year. No time spent in a relationship before your actual marriage is permitted to count:-

You will have to wait a further 3 months before submitting your divorce petition to the UK court.

In the meantime you can agree with your spouse the basis on which you shall petition (eg. unreasonable behaviour or adultery if you have not been separated for two years)

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time.

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for answering your question.

Kind regards,