Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Ive just recieved a some of money after my father died can

I've just recieved a some of money after my father died can my partner claim half we are not married
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you have received an inheritance from your father then the money is yours and provided you are not married and do not have children with your partner then she will not be able to claim half of it.

There is no such thing as a “common law spouse” and unmarried partners do not have a great deal of rights at all. The position changes if marriage occurs but this does not apply to you
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have one child together does this make adifference
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
The money remains solely yours, but if she disputes the amount of any maintenamce that you pay for the childs and litigates on the issue then it cpuld be taken in to account in determining what amount you should pay in maintainance for the child.
She does not have an immediate right to receive half. Though.

Please click accept.