Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

how simple is it to get a divorce without using a lawyer. Also

how simple is it to get a divorce without using a lawyer.
Also is it straight forward as I was married abroad?
How would I go about getting the divorce, steps I should take.
How much cheaper will it be compared to using a lawyer?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi
Thanks for your question
A solicitor would charge in the region of £1000+VAT to act on a divorce from start to finish providing that there are no ancillary relief proceedings (where financial settlement is in dispute and the parties involve the court in resolving it).
If your divorce is simply, undisputed and there are no financial affairs or issues with children to resolved then you can act by yourself to save some money but you must be prepared to devote some time to the administration of the divorce process.

There is plenty of guidance on divorce including an explanation of preparing the petition and the process itself here:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Divorceseparationandrelationshipbreakdown/Endingamarriageorcivilpartnership/Gettingadivorce/index.htm
If you are to do it yourself the link contains all the guidance you need.
If you are in dispute with regard to residence or contact in respect of the children or with your financial affairs then you are strongly advised to instruct a solicitor.
You can check to see if you are eligible for legal aid on the calculator here:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Divorceseparationandrelationshipbreakdown/Endingamarriageorcivilpartnership/Planningadivorce/DG_193733
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom