Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my wife wants a divorce, is staying with family, but wants

my wife wants a divorce, is staying with family, but wants to live in my house until she finds her own accomodation. I don't want this. what can I do?

Thanks for your question.
I’m afraid there is not a great deal you can do if the house you are referring to is the family home. Because you are married this means that she is entitled to live at the property until financial settlement in your divorce is resolved.
In actual fact she can register a notice against your property confirming her home rights. This would prevent the property from being remortgaged or sold.
If you wish to resolve the situation quickly then you can:-
1. Informally attempt negotiation for her to leave the premises.
2. Invite her to mediation in order to agree what should happen with regard to occupation of the property and financial settlement generally:-
3. Agree formally between solicitors a matrimonial settlement
4. Issue an application for ancillary relief at court during your divorce so that the court is involved in getting you to agree a financial settlement
I am sorry I could not have better news for you. Many people don’t realise the rights a non-owning spouse has over property in this respect.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can i speak to you over the phone?

I'm afraid not, private contact is prohibited under the terms/conditions of the site.

You can contact a local solicitor for a consultation before making your next move. You can find them via:-

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,