Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

UK Family Law - my son has shared residency of his 3 year old

UK Family Law - my son has shared residency of his 3 year old daughter who spends 10 days with him every 28 days. (Every other weekend and every Wednesday evening)The rest of the time she spends with his ex wife who lives about 1.5 miles away. When my son collects or drops off his daughter it is done in a public place (local Macdonalds) because when he used to collect his daughter from his ex wifes address there was always a problem because she would scream & shout at him. His ex wife is now going to ask the Family Court for permission to move out of the borough because she says the Police are harassing her and she also says it is frightening her daughter. She has also mentioned that if she moved she would want Wednesday night contact removed as it would be too difficult to get to Macdonalds as her car has broken down. My son would like to object to his ex wife moving completely out of the area in particular because of his contact with his daughter but also because the school she would be likely to attend if she lived close by. It has substantially better Ofsted Report than most other schools. Advice please
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How far away does she wish to move?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We do not know at the moment but it could be in the next borough which could be as little as 5 miles away.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then I am afraid that the chances of your son preventing a move are slim to nil - but equally there is no reason why the midweek contact should cease - the handover point would simply have to change
I am afraid that the school issue is unlikely to convince the court that she should have to stay in an area where she is not happy