Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
60469748

What are the required documents to be able to get married

What are the required document's to be able to get married in the Philippines. I am British and my girlfriend is Philippine.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 2 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : If you are both single, you will need a certificate of no impediment.
Awan-Legal : If you wish to marry in the Philippines you must produce, to the Philippine Authorities, a local Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) stating that you are free to marry.  This can only be obtained from the British Embassy in Manila or through the Honorary Consul in Cebu. If you have been married in another country and now wish to have a further marriage ceremony in the Philippines, we are unable to issue you a local CNI as you are already married.
Awan-Legal : The details are as follows:
Awan-Legal : Honorary Consul:Mrs Moya Jackson MBEAddress:Villa TerraceGreenhills RoadCasuntinganMandaue CityCebu6014Phone:+63 (32)(NNN) NNN-NNNN- Phone / faxEmail:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX visa matters handled at this officeContact the visa section for assistance.Consular hours:Monday-Friday: Mornings only (by appointment)
Awan-Legal : From 1st of July 2011, applicants must make an appointment before attending the British Embassy Manila. Please send an e-mail toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX book your appointment at least two (2) weeks before your intended date of visit to the Consular Section.  Indicate your five (5) preferred dates of appointment in your email and they will try to schedule you on one of these dates, depending on the availability of their schedule.
Awan-Legal : If this is your first marriage, the local civil registrar will ask to see your original birth certificates or your baptismal certificates. Certified copies may be accepted. You need to provide the full name, residence and citizenship of your parents or guardians.
Awan-Legal : You will also need to provide your passports.
Awan-Legal : If either of you have previously been married, you will need to provide your divorce certificate(s).
Awan-Legal : Individuals must be at least 21 years old to get married in the Philippines without written parental consent. If your parents cannot appear with you before the local civil registrar, a legal affidavit with the signatures of two witnesses may be accepted.
Awan-Legal : There is a waiting period of ten consecutive days while notice of the marriage application is posted on a bulletin board outside the local civil registrar's office.
Awan-Legal : As above, If you have been previously married, you will need to provide the death certificate of your deceased spouse or the judicial decree of your absolute divorce, or the judicial decree of your annulment or declaration of nullity of your previous marriage.
Awan-Legal : Two witnesses are required. Witnesses must be of legal age.
Awan-Legal : The marriage license in the Philippines is valid for 120 days from the date of issue.
Awan-Legal : Good luck with the above. Kindly click accept on my answer and if you require any information about the visa process for the UK, please list another question for me.
Customer:

My girlfriend has told me that the Philippine Embassy will want a copy of my house Mortgage, a copy of my Bank Statement and a copy of three month's pay slip's. Is this right.

Awan-Legal : This is for the visa application for the marriage but not the documents for the marriage itself. The marriage itself takes about a month and the Philippines have strict requirements for marriage to foreigners hence the documents required above.
Awan-Legal : The visa will require original documents as follows:
Awan-Legal : You must send:2 recent passport photographs and your passport - see the Photographs and passport pageevidence of your age and your partner's ageyour marriage or civil partnership certificateevidence that you were both free to marry or enter your civil partnership, if either of you was previously married or in a civil partnershipevidence that you have metevidence of your English language ability - see the English language link belowevidence that you can can maintain yourselves and any dependants adequately without needing public funds - see the Maintenance (funds) pageevidence of your accomodation
Awan-Legal : Finances and accommodation include 3 months bank statements and pay slips. Accommodation - tenancy or mortgage statement in your name (if renting, permission from the landlord for her to join you).
Awan-Legal : Also, you will need evidence of Contact such as phone bills and emails, as well as photos together (wedding and general photos together).
Awan-Legal : I hope that answers your question. Please click accept, thanks.
Awan-Legal : All documents should be originals. Please click accept, thanks.
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience: Expert