Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have been estranged from my wife for 13 years. I have been

I have been estranged from my wife for 13 years. I have been unable to located her or my daughter who is now almost 18. I believe that she attempted to petition for divorce about 3 years ago (she had contacted my mother who did not wish to be involved) but I have hear nothing further. I now live overseas. How can I find out if the divorce was indeed requested or in fact granted. Thank you.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If your wife was able to convince the judge to dispense with service of the petition and a decree absolute (final decree legally divorcing you) then a copy of this will be held by the Principal Registry of the Family division.

Here is the link containing details on how you can search and obtain a copy of necessary:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175718

If you require the search result to be sent abroad I would contact them to ask if they require the postage fee to be paid.

There won’t be a record of any petitions issued but not proceeded with I’m afraid.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom