Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i got married in costa rica me and husband are uk citizens

i got married in costa rica me and husband are uk citizens we did not register the marriage in the uk on our return we since have split is the marriage legal in the uk
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the marriage was carried out and concluded in the way that other marriages in Costa Rica are carried out/concluded then the marriage will be legally recognised as a marriage in the UK.

That you have subsequently separated does not make a difference. If you were to be regarded as legally married in Costa Rica as a result of the marriage then you will be legally married under UK law.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom