Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My husband and I are apart, he has asked for our marriage certificate

My husband and I are apart, he has asked for our marriage certificate for his solicitor - is that for mediation or divorce?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

In all probability this has been requested because he is considering petitioning your for divorce. A marriage certificate is required to be submitted with the divorce petition when it is submitted to Court. It will not be issued by the court it has been submitted to unless it has been enclosed with the petition.

A marriage certificate is not a pre-requisite for mediation following separation.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom