Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My wife and I have been seperated for 18 months now.My

My wife and I have been seperated for 18 months now. My wife has filed for divorce, though we are trying to do this as amicably as possible and minimise the costs. At this moment I have not consulted a solicitor, but my question is there any downsides to me admitting adultery? As I understand it, it's either this, or fight over unreasonable behaviour in court, which neither of us wants to do. Alternatively wait until we reach the 2 year seperation point, but my wife does not want to wait that long. Many thanks

Thanks for your question.

You would not prejudice yourself by admitting to adultery for the purpose of obtaining a divorce decree in terms of financial settlement. The actual basis of the divorce is immaterial in terms of financial settlement, assuming that none of the behaviour is to impact in proceedings regarding who is to have residence of any children of the behaviour.

If you do not wish to admit the adultery then the alternative is to wait until you have been separated for 2 years and divorce on this fact or to agree mutually acceptable Particulars of Unreasonable Behaviour for the purpose of being granted a divorce petition that is undisputed under this fact.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom