Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How do I cease acting as guarantor now the tenancy agreement

How do I cease acting as guarantor now the tenancy agreement is on a month to month basis please. I have already been advised that i remain as guarantor once the initial 12 month period has expired. Can I legally achieve this please?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You will remain tied to the guarantee if it covers the holding over period until a new tenancy agreement is granted or you secure acknowledgement of release from the guarantee.

You should therefore either encourage the tenant to sign a new tenancy agreement, stating that maybe they shall consider handing in their notice and terminating the tenancy, or approach the landlord/letting agent about whether they would consider offering a lease and askin for their terms.

They may require a small sum of money to be released, you will have to then weigh up the cost/benefit.

Kind regards,