Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

In January 2010 I signed as guarantor for a rental tenancy

In January 2010 I signed as guarantor for a rental tenancy on belhalf of someone. The rent has been correctly paid every month. The tenancy agreement was for 12 months and monthly thereafter. My question is - am I still liable as guarantor after the expiry of the 12 month period, in otherwords, is the guarantee effective after the original tenancy agreement. I am anxious to dispose of this guarantee.

Thanks for your reply.

You need to check the wording of the tenancy agreement or guarantee. The guarantee will refer to the original term of the tenancy agreement and, if it is drafted correctly will also state that it includes any period of statutory extension or holding over.

In this case you would remain liable if the tenancy continued from month to month following the expiry of the fixed term.

If it doesn't include that provision then you will not be liable, but I would caution this as unlikely

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Howdo I revoke this guarantee please?