Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Changing locks

An elderly transferor gifted a property to a family member for nil consideration then changed their mind after title had been changed. While title dispute is with lawyers to resolve, can the transferor legally change the front door locks, claiming having the transferee in the house is stressful? If this does happen, does the transferee have to go to court to get access?

Thanks for your question.

The basic position is that the legal title to the property has already been disposed to the transferee, so the transferor would have no right to change the locks and restrict the transferee's access in any way.

The transferee could simply prove ownership to a locksmith by downloading official copies of the title and showing this to them with evidence of identity. The locksmith would then attempt to change the locks but if the transferee kicks up a fuss they may or may not stop depending on the locksmith themselves.

If no locksmith will change the locks then the transrferee would have to go to court but it seems to me that the issue would be better raised between the solicitors already dealing with the matter, rather than going over their head straight to court (judges do not like people hastening themselves to litigation) - this is what you are paying them for after all.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom