How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about arranging a lasting power of attorney so

Resolved Question:

How do I go about arranging a lasting power of attorney so I can take control of my elderly mother's affairs (she is in a care home and no longer has the capacity or mobility to take care of her affairs).
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. When you refer to capacity, do you mean that she no longer has the mental capacity to understand the implications of the decision which she really is required to make in respect of her care and property/financial affairs?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. She's had various mental health issues all her life and was even sectioned for a month a few years ago and been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

Now that she's getting on a bit her memory is going as well and she's on a lot of medication in her care home to keep her on an even keel. I have to contribute to her care costs which I why I need the authority to access her bank accounts to continue paying for her care.

She is aware she has money via a state and a small private pension.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I am very sorry that you have found yourself in the difficult situation

If your mother does not have the requisite mental capacity to grant a power of attorney to you, in that she no longer understands the implications of the decisions put to her then you will be looking at making an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed deputy for you're her


If satisfied then the Court could effectively grant you the same powers in respect of his affairs as in under an LPA which your mother herself could apply for if she retained her mental capacity. In order to get appointed as quickly as possible I would suggest that you ask a local solicitor to prepare and submit the application for you. It will be more likely to be successful because the Court of Protection will take in to account the fact that your solicitor will have made his own judgement of the situation and come to the conclusion that there is no element of impropriety in the purpose of the application

You can find Uk solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Enter either "wills and probate" or "trusts law" in the area of law box, they will have solicitors in those departments who can do this for you.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,


I think she'll be ok about granting me an LPA so can you clarify how I would obtain this - is this something that has to be drafted by a solicitor or can I just 'download' something from somewhere?




Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.



The point is that you stated she is unable to understand the implications of the decisions she has to make, this means she does not have what is termed "mental capacity". This means that she cannot grant you an LPA herself because she does not understand the consquences of doing so.


If this is the case then you will have to apply to Court to be appointed as deputy so that you can manage her affairs in the same way a person with an LPA could. You would need a solicitor to do this for you. The solicitor would also be able to make an assessment of whether or not she does have mental capacity.

If the solicitor decides she understands the immplicaitons/consequences of her decisions then you can simply apply for a an LPA in the usualy way via the solicitor.


Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.


Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)