Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My brother recently died and his executor (a friend at the

My brother recently died and his executor (a friend at the time) is refusing to give the family a copy of his will.
We know that he wanted to change his executor and will but sadly died before he could make the changes. Is there a way that the family can get a copy of the will?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

An executor of a person's estate is responsible for who sees the Will and who doesn't. They will normally contact the beneficiaries of the estate following death in order to inform them of their beneficiary status and what has been left to them OR to provide them directly with a copy of the Will.

It is entirely up to the judgement of the executor as to whether to inform persons who are not named as beneficiaries of the content of the Will.

If you suspect that the executor may mismanage the estate or not act in accordance with the directions made in the Will OR will not immediately inform the beneficiaries then you should see a solicitor about writing the executor, possibly considering taking out a caveat or carrying out a standing search at the probate registry so that you receive notice and a copy of the grant of probate (to which the Will shall be attached) as soon as the same is granted:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,