How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Afternoon, My partner and I spilt up a year ago. We bought

Customer Question


My partner and I spilt up a year ago. We bought a house together, but have lived separately since we split. We jointly own the property, but for the last year I have paid the mortgage, she does not contribute mortage payment however she pays the household bills because she still lives in the property. I would like to buy her out of the property but I am unsure how this works. We are not married and their are no children involved.

I would really appreciate your thoughts before I progress the arrangement.


Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi John,


Thanks for your question.


First of all, if you and you partner presently hold the house jointly (as joint tenants) then each person's share would pass to the other upon death regardless of any directon made in any Will. If this is not what you want then you should sever the joint tenancy by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to them and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

You will then hold you interests as tenants in common, meaning that your respective shares will pass according to their wills or under the intestacy rules. Your partner need not sign the form provided you follow the instructions.

The liability under mortgages is joint and several which means that the lender can sue either or both of you if there is any debt, regardless of any understanding you had with your partner about what payments would be made by whom. This means that it is crucial that the repayments are made otherwise your credit record would be affected and you would both find it difficult to raise credit in the future.


If you wish to remortgage and transfer the property in to your sole then you need to speak to your lender to see if you can demonstrate sufficient finance in order to receive a mortgage offer in your sole name. Your partner would need to consent to this by signing the Land Registry Transfer Form so to get her to do this you will probably have to pay her for her share of the equity in the property


If you cannot agree informally then you may have to see a local solicitor to get them to write to her to make her aware that you can apply for an order for sale (ie. to you) on the basis that she is no longer paying her share of the mortgage payments, but wish to avoid the stress and expense of doing so by agreeing with her informally


If she does not respond or agree then this may be your only option and you will have to issue an application for an Order at Court.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Many thanks Tom for your speedy response.


My mortgage lender has verified that I am in a position to take over the mortgage in my sole name. Given that I have been solely responsible for paying the mortgage for the last year (£1,000) per month, does this effect the amount of equity payable to my ex-partner, will I be responsible for any utilities bills before I take over sole responsiblity for the property?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi John ,

You can include attempting to discount the extra amount you have paid in mortgage payments in you negotiations with her, yes. If it went to court it would probably be taken in to account.


Whoever is named on the utility bills and is consuming the services is responsible for paying them. If you are the only person consuming them then you should pay these really.


Thanks for your accept.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)