How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6943
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I seperated from my Husband (who I married in April 2008) in

Resolved Question:

I seperated from my Husband (who I married in April 2008) in September 2008, due to his violent and unreasonavle behaviour. I had to take an injunction out against him to protect myself and also a prohibited steps order, which stipulates that he cannot remove our daughter from my care without my prior written consent (this has no end date so is still in force) for her protection.
Since September 2008 neither myself of my daughter have seen him and the only contact that has been made was through a solicitor. He had a letter sent to me asking for access to our daughter and also asking if I had started a divorce, I replied to this saying that I refuse to let him see our daughter as he poses to much of a threat to her safety and informed him that I had not started a divorce process as I do not know where he is. I was later sent a letter from his solicitor stating that they have not heard anything further from him dispite sevreal letters being sent to him with my response.
I am desperate to get a divorce from him but as I do not know where he lives and had no replies to his solicitor I am unsure how to do this. I have heard that there is a period of time that you can divorce a spouse without their knowledge if you do not know where they are, am I eligable for this? If not then what would be my best option?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your questions.


A person can divorce their spouse on the basis of a 5 year separation without their consent, but that person would still be required to have the divorce petition served upon them. Obviously you do not qualify under this ground for divorce yet so you would either have to rely on divorce based upon his unreasonable behaviour (which should not be to difficult given his previous conduct you refer to) or on the basis of a 2 year separation but you would need his consent to this. If he has been adulterous then you could also divorce on this ground.


You should request an address for service from the solicitors. If they do not have this then you may have to instruct a tracing agency on your behalf to trace an address for him


In terms of serving the divorce papers upon him the court would initially send the petition to the address you list, if he does not acknowledge receipt then you can either instruct the Court bailiffs to attend the address you have for him (ie. that which the previous solicitor used) or instruct a private enquiry agent/process server to do this for you. The court bailiffs would simply attend and see if he was there, a private process server would wait until he attends.


If you google "process servers" and your locality you will get a list of persons you can instruct.

Once they have served it upon him they will swear an affidavit of service and submit this to court as proof he has received the petition. The divorce can then proceed.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6943
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Chat Now With A Solicitor
404 Satisfied Customers
BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor