How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons partner of 5 years, told him last weekend that she

Resolved Question:

My son's partner of 5 years, told him last weekend that she had been seeing another bloke since Jan this year. They have a 4 year old daughter. Needless to say my son was devastated at the time, but now he is very angry.Their relationship is finished. She walked out this weekend leaving her daughter and spent sat & sun with her 'bloke' and came home late yesterday afternoon. If she walks out for good ( which my son thinks she will do) can she take the child with her without my son's permission? Will my son be breaking the law if he changes all the door locks? Can he get his ex partners name taken off the mortgage? Just where does he stand legally?
many thanks
Jenny Rosevear
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jenny,


Thanks for your question, it's obviously a very difficult situation.


If she is jointly named on the land registry title to the property then you son cannot simply change the locks, whilst jointly named each party retains a right of occupation and access which neither can deny the other unless there is a court order to the contrary following civil or criminal court proceedings.


If he changed the locks she could simply change them back and probably claim the money from him.

If he wishes to take over the property solely then he would need to receive a mortgage offer in his sole name and gain her consent to the transfer of the title. He cannot transfer ownership without the consent of the lender or her consent.


She would be entiteld to ask for payment for her share of the equity in the property. If she did not agree then he could apply for an order for sale of the property in the county court. Their primary consideration will be the welfare of the child (ie. to see that the child is housed).


If both parents are named on the birth certificate for the child then they both have Parental Responsibility, this is slightly difference to "rights" over the chid. They need to at least work out what is to happen with the child in terms of residence and contact for the non-resident parent.


This in my view is the most important issue and they need to work out what they are going to do. If they cannot speak civilly then they should contact Resolution about mediation on, first, the issue of residence/contact and, secondly, what is to happen with the property:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)