Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

uk based common law wife. What is a common law wife entitled

uk based common law wife.
What is a common law wife entitled to if the mortgage was fully repaid six years before she moved in.
We have lived together for ten years.There are no children involved or any loans.
Dominic
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dominic,

Did you partner pay more in rent to you than she otherwise would have paid in private rented accomodation?

Did you partner carry out and pay for any works which substantially increased the value of the property?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO.1 No i have never asked her to pay any rent,i have always paid paid all the dirct debits etc. My choice.
She has always paid for the food shopping approx £120.00 a week

NO.2 No i have paid for all home improvements
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for your reply.

On that basis she would not be advised to claim an interest in the property. In order to do so she would have to establish an interest in the property under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees 1996. If she has not done any of those things I mentioned and there are not loans from her to you or any children of the relationship then she would not be entitled to make a claim under the Act.

Unmarried partners have only very limited rights.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom