Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

our house is in my wifes name how do i stand if she dies

Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you wife has a Will then the property shall pass according to the provisions of that Will.

If your wife does not have a Will then it shall pass according to the intestacy rules. If you have no children then all of her property (including the house) will pass to you.

If you do have children then the house will be included in her estate. You would get everthing up to £250, 000.00 (and her personal possessions), the remainder would be split in two with one half passing immediately to the children and the remaining half being kept in trust for the children so that you would receive the income from the monies with the rest passing to the children upon your death.

If this is usfeul please kindly click accept so that I m ay be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,