Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

MY AUNT DIED A FEW YEARS AGO LEAVING A LARGE EASTATE I WAS

MY AUNT DIED A FEW YEARS AGO LEAVING A LARGE EASTATE I WAS HER ONLY LIVING RELATIVE EXCEPT FOR HER ADOPTED DAUGHTER,HAVE I ANY RIGHT TO A PART TO HER EASTATE.THANK YOU VANESSA.

Hi

Did she die with or without a Will?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure.ihad not seen her 4 over 30 yrs and have only just found out that she had died my own mother died recently and she told me.

Vanessa,

Right.

If she dies without a Will then her entire estate would have passed to her daughter under the Intestacy rules.

If she made a Will directing that certain monies or assets should pass to you then the executor named in the Will should have contacted you about the administration of her estate and your inheritance. If this was not done then the executors of the estate will be liable for the loss.

I would contact the Probate Registry to obtain a copy of the letters of administration or grant of probate. If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of her Will will be attached to it. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

If provision is not made for some dependent person in a testator's will then they can only claim on the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for family and dependents) by issuing a claim within 6 months of the date of the grant of probate. You are time-barred from doing this obviously.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom