Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My husband was a British Citizen but passed away last month

My husband was a British Citizen but passed away last month in a car accident here in America. We have a 4 month old daughter and we all lived in the US we were still awaiting his greencard. Does she still have the right to dual citizenship? If so how do I obtain it and how long can I stay in the UK.

Was your husband a British citizen by birth? Ie born in the UK to British parents.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes he a British citizen by birth. He lived in the UK until last April when he moved to the US to marry me.

Thank you,

Erin

Hi Erin,

Thanks for your reply.

Your daughter is still eligible to be registered as a British Citizen under the British Naitonality Act. She is not precluded from this because of the passing of your husband, but if she was born outside the UK then she will have British Citizenship by descent which means that she cannot pass it on to any of her children born outside the UK.

I believe the form you will have to complete is Form MN1 and this should be submitted to the nearest UK embassy to you. You can call them and ask for the appropriate department address.

I must say I am also very sorry that you find yourself in this difficult position. You have my sympathies.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom