Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I lived with my partner for 3 years in his home. He has now

I lived with my partner for 3 years in his home. He has now decided that we should break up. I have to return to my parents with no savings, as all my earnings went into maintaining and feeding the household. Were do i stand.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

DId you pay more in expenses than you would have paid in private rented accommodation?

Did you spend capital amounts on improving the property and it's value?

Do you have children?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes all my earning went into the home. I have no savings. I bought mainly material things for the home and I had the kitchen floor tiled. My partner did not pay for any of these material things or home improvements.

We have no children

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

The position is that where you are not named on the registered title to the property then you will only be able to claim an interest in the property where you have paid significantly more in rent/household expenses than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation and/or have spent capital sums on making improvements to the property which have materially increased the value of the property.

If you think this is the case then you may consider contacting a local family solicitor for a initial consultation so that you can provide them with the specific amounts you have spent on the property and they can then advise you of the merits of your case.

If they think you have a case then they would contact your partner advising them that you are considering making an application to court to claim an interest but that you would be willing to discuss settlement to avoid this.

These applications can be quite expensive so it's generally better to reach a settlement if at all possible.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,