Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

how do i guarantee that when i die 50% of my house goes to

how do i guarantee that when i die 50% of my house goes to my stepson
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Do you own your property with any other person?

If so, do you know if you hold your interests as tenants in common or joint tenants?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am the sole owner of the property
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If your Will is presently drafted so that the residuary estate goes equally to your 3 children and your stepson but you wish for 50% your property to go to your stepson and then the remainder of your estate equally to your 3 children then you should redraft your Will.

A simple letter of wishes would not be enforceable and it is not simple enough so that a codicil would suffice.

You should instruct a solicitor to do this for you. Instead of the present drafting a specific legacy will be included immediately preceding the residuary estate clause stating that 50% of the property shall pass to your stepson. It would obviously specifically identify the property and your stepson. Your residuary estate clause will be then be redrafted so that only the three children are named as residuary beneficiaries.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,