Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My partner left his wife for me over 4 years ago but theyre

My partner left his wife for me over 4 years ago but they're not divorced yet as they cannot come to an agreement over the marital home. They have 2 children still living at home, both in their twentys. My ex husband and I have recently sold our jointly owned property and I have my share of the equity along with a share of my late father's estate. My partner is looking to start divorce proceedings, can his wife make a claim on my assets?

Thanks for your question.

Only the matrimonial assets of the marriage are subject to settlement negotiations and proceedings at Court. Your assets (ie. the capital sum from the sale of the house and your inheritance) are your own and provided this remains the case then she will not be able to make a claim on your assets.

It would seem sensible, in order to avoid an potential confusion, to keep your assets in a bank account on which you are solely named and not held jointly with your partner.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,