How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my boyfriend is hoping to move into my house this year we

Resolved Question:

Hi my boyfriend is hoping to move into my house this year we will both be 54yrs old. Will he have any claim to my home? he is not putting any money into it

many thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Lynda,


Is he to contribute rent?


Is he to contribute directly to the mortgage?


Will he spend money on carrying out improvements to the property that will increase it's value?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

he will give me a sum of money each month which will go towards bills, food. I do not have a mortgage. No he will not put any money into the property to improve its value



Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



In that case you should make sure that the amount he gives you each month is not more than the amount he would otherwise have to pay were he to rent privately.


Provided this is the case, no capital improvements to the property are made by him, there are no children of the relationship and you do not take a loan of money from him then he would not be advised that he would have a claim on your property. Any application to establish a claim on the property is a very expensive application to make in any event.


Provided the reality of his occupation of the property does not differ from the above then you will be fine.


A cohabitation agreement setting out agreed arrangement for his occupation would be a sensible thing to do. It would detail his occupation, confirm that he is not to acquire an interest in the property and set out what each party's responsibilities/rights are (eg. household expenses, items acquired during the cohabitation, what is to happen following separation). It would cost in the region of £300.00 +VAT for solicitor to prepare for you.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



I am unsure about the £22 to pay I thought it was £2, or did i read it incorrectly


many thanks


lynda attias

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I don't deal with billing I'm afraid; I'm a solicitor and an expert here.


It would not be £2 though, so I can only assume it was £22.00


If you are happy I would be grateful if you would click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions