Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My mother died two years ago, she was a shareholder in our

My mother died two years ago, she was a shareholder in our family business partnership. The business had four shareholders, my brother, father, late mother and myself and each with a 25% stake in capital & profits.

My father says that he had a joint will with my mother and that she left her estate to him. I don't have any reason to doubt him but I have not seen her will or had any dealings with the solicitor handling probate. Without offending my father I feel that I should be entitled to know that her estate has been dealt with according to her wishes. Do I have a right to see the will, and if I do what would be the best way of approaching this?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

Grants of probate are matters of public record.

If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of his Will will be attached to it. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

I would not approach the solicitor with your enquiry as he will only reveal with the permission of the executor, who I assume to be your father and would therefore need to disclose your enquiry to him.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom