Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am 70 years old and would like to take out a power of attorney

I am 70 years old and would like to take out a power of attorney for my daughter to act on my behalf should I be taken ill. I own my own home and am quite independent but this would enable her to act quickly. How do I go about it and what does it cost? I should add that a year ago I made a will and my solicitor advised against the extra cost of a power of attorney at this time, though not clear why. Thank you.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

THanks for your question.

Lasting powers of attorney are the form used now, you can apply for one and have it registered with the Office of The Public Guardian. There are two types; property and financial affairs LPA (for decisions about finances, such as selling your house or managing your bank account) and health and welfare LPA (for decisions about both health and personal welfare, such as where to live, day-to-day care or having medical treatment).

You can set the parameters of authority under the power and when those powers are to be activate to give you some security.

They must be registered with the Office and there is a fee for each of £120.00. You can either attempt to make the application yourself (the forms are available from the OPG website along with lots of guidance notes and information) or instruct a solicitor to do it for you. It would cost around £600-750+VAT in legal fees preparing both forms of LPAs.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom