How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7069
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A French National & a Hungarian National, married 3 years ago

Customer Question

A French National & a Hungarian National, married 18 months ago in France. Resident in the UK with a 2 year old daughter. They bought a house jointly prior to their marriage. The husband is leaving the marital home tomorrow. The husband apparently wants a divorce. Please would you advise the best way of going about divorcing. I should add that the husband is a lorry driver and the mother is a hairdresser and works as an employee.

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



If they are not prepared to wait for a period of separation of two years and then both agree to divorce on the basis of that separation then she will have to wait until a period of 5 years separation has been attained and then she can divorce on that separation without his consent.

They could divorce now on the basis of one petitioning the other on the basis of that person's adultery (if applicable) or on the basis of the other's unreasonable behaviour. Examples of U/B are often things like the following (but this list is not exhaustive: insults, threats, nagging, not providing emotional support, having intimate or improper relationships with other persons, physical violence, cruelty, failure to share household tasks, not having sexual intercourse, demanding sexual intercourse too much, failure to provide affection, having no home life together.


She would need four/five/examples of such beahviour and they must specifically refer to when /where they occurred, they cannot just be listed as above.


In order to divorce the petitioner must prepare a divorce petition and submit it to Court, it will then be issued by the Judge if he considers that the grounds for divorce have been proved (ie. that there is an irretrievably breakdown in the marriage). It will then be send to the respondent for them to acknowledged. Once acknowledged the divorce can then proceed to decree nisi (preliminary divorce decree) and then decree absolute (the final decree when they are no longer married) with the court's involvement.


A matrimonial settlement of the assets will have to be achieved and if she is to have residence of the child then she will receive a greater proportion and the child's welfare will be the primary consideration of the Court. A chief concern will be to see that the child is adequately accommodation.


If he is to leave the home now then he should make arrangement to pay child supprt and she can visit the CSA website for infromation on this.


They should consider mediation and they can contact about this or instructing solicitors.


There is lots of information on divorce available from HMCS's website:-

You will also be able to download the forms required to petition from this site.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Edited by Tom on 12/3/2010 at 2:19 PM EST
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7069
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tom, I had thought that a new law obliged the couple divorcing to seek out a mediator to try to save the marriage? As I now understand it this is not obligatory? Am I right in my understanding, please?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • jusleen


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
< Last | Next >
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience as a general practitioner