Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my wife of 12 years has threatned to cut up my clothes and

my wife of 12 years has threatned to cut up my clothes and throw me out the house after i have asked for a divorce -(no adulty involved just fell out of love) i am frightened to leeave my home in case she changethe locks oor destroys my possesions any advice please.(joint morgage owners)

Thanks for your question.

As you own the home together and (presumably) are registered on the legal title to the property both you and your wife have a right to occupy the property which neither can deny the other. This would change if there was an order of the Court preventing you from being near your wife or occupying the home.

If there is no such order and your wife changes the locks then you will be able to change the locks back. I would download a copy of the register to the legal title from the Land Regsitry website and contact the police to see if they wish to attend when you are changing the locks back:-

https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

It is only available between monday to saturday however.

It may be better to take the pracitcal view and give her some space to come to terms with your suggestion of divorce.

If she cuts up your cltohers then this would be criminal damage but the police are not likely to be interested in this really because it stems from a civil matter and, taking the long view, you may consider that it would be less troublesome in the ultimate aim of getting a divorce to let this go.

If this is useful please kidnly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom