Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My son was married in 1998 to a divorced woman who has two

My son was married in 1998 to a divorced woman who has two sons by her previous marriage. The woman divorced my son three years later because of his alcoholism. They have had no contact since.

Is it possible that this woman and/or her sons can have a claim against my son's share of my estate? If so, can I add a codicil to my will expressly barring her from any benefit on my death?

Was there a Court Order resulting from the divorce dealing with financial settlement?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No

Thanks for your question.

There would be no question of whether she could seek to claim any of the money that your son would inherit form your estate had there been a Court Order.

However, given that your son has been divorced in, I calculate, 2001 then even if she were to revisit financial settlement is is unlikely in the extreme for this to be included if their financial arrangements are completely separate. He can inherit from you safely.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom