Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband and I have been seperated for 5 months.He has taken

My husband and I have been seperated for 5 months.He has taken all his possessions from the house and has a few belongings still left in the shed.The house is in joint names(no mortage)We are both in our sixties and our children are grownup and not living in the house.He is living in a rented house near his sister about 25miles away.This house will go on the market in the new year,as it is too big for me on my own.I was wondering if-by law-I have the right to ask for the key he has,as he has no possessions in the property.
Thank you.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the house is in joint names then each party has a right to occupation (inc key) which neither can deny the other unless there is an order of the Court in place relating to the divorce or as a result of criminal or civil proceedings relating to the other's conduct.

He has a right to a key I'm afraid as he is still the joint registered proprietor.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,