How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7371
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend recently split with her boyfriend. He lived

Resolved Question:

My girlfriend recently split with her boyfriend.
He lived with her for nearly 2 yrs without paying any rent.
He paid off one of her loans which was £6k.
No paperwork was signed as this was a gift.
As they have split up he now wants his money back.
She cannnot afford to pay him back and believes as he made no financial reparation towards rent this is his back rent.
What rights does he have to get it back and what should she do at the moment.
Russell Eden [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi Russel,

Thanks for your question.


It is crucial what arrangement was made with regard to his occupation of her property during the time he was there. If there was an understanding that he would pay rent but he did not but they agreed that rent arrears would accrue then she stands a chance as claiming this as a debt owed by him to her. If there was no such understanding and she permitted his occupation without an expectation at the time that rent would be paid or accrue then she was allowing him occupation under licence and cannot now claim rent in respect of the time he was there.


The key issue with the loan paid off by him is whether it was intending as a loan of a gift. If there was no expectation that it would be paid back then it will be held to be a gift between a loving couple in a relationship and he can not claim it back. If however there was an expectation that it would be paid back in some way at a later date then he would be able to issue proceedings and obtain judgement on the monies as a debt.


The sum of money is certainly enough for a reasonable person to submit an application to Court if he is able to prove that it was intended as a loan OR if there is no evidence to the contrary. If there is documentary evidence either way on each of the issues of the above then this will probably be persuasive to the Court on the issues. You girlfriend should check her old emails/texts/letters etc to see if there is any such evidence.


If there is no such documentary evidence then it will depend on the amount of credibility the Court attaches to each persons witness statements and testimony. This is obviously quite unpredictable and if your girlfriend is not confident with the evidence that she can collate then it may be something that she should consider negotiating over to avoid the costs and stress of Court.


If there was an expectation that he would pay rent or that it would accrue but also an expectation that the repayment of the loan would be made then it would be better to negotiate a settlement.


She can seek specific advice after collating her evidence by asking for a initial free or fixed fee consultation with a local solicitor, she can find them via:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7371
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)