How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seperating from my husband of 30 years. I am moving out

This answer was rated:

I am seperating from my husband of 30 years. I am moving out of our home at the end of the month because it has become impossible to live together - I find his rages frightening and can not live constantly trying to avoid confrontation anymore. Our children are all adults. Our mortgage is paid for, we have jointly paid for it, but I have been the principal bill payer (utilites) for the past 10 years or so. My question is; in moving out do I undermine any possibility of an even split of assets when we divorce?



Thanks for your question.


Moving out would not affect your percentage entitlement in the final financial settlement of the matrimonial assets.


Matters could be complicated if by moving out you were not able to pay joint liabilities (eg. mortgage (which I note is repaid), joint loans etc) but these would be an interim concern rather than a issue with your ultimate financial settlement.


If you are to rely on income from your husband to pay the cost of rent on a new property and he were to stop this then income stream you would run in to short-term difficulty in getting your rent paid.


If this is useful please kindly click accep so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions