Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am seperating from my husband of 30 years. I am moving out

I am seperating from my husband of 30 years. I am moving out of our home at the end of the month because it has become impossible to live together - I find his rages frightening and can not live constantly trying to avoid confrontation anymore. Our children are all adults. Our mortgage is paid for, we have jointly paid for it, but I have been the principal bill payer (utilites) for the past 10 years or so. My question is; in moving out do I undermine any possibility of an even split of assets when we divorce?

Thanks for your question.

Moving out would not affect your percentage entitlement in the final financial settlement of the matrimonial assets.

Matters could be complicated if by moving out you were not able to pay joint liabilities (eg. mortgage (which I note is repaid), joint loans etc) but these would be an interim concern rather than a issue with your ultimate financial settlement.

If you are to rely on income from your husband to pay the cost of rent on a new property and he were to stop this then income stream you would run in to short-term difficulty in getting your rent paid.

If this is useful please kindly click accep so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom