How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7004
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have lived together for 13 years but are not maried. there

Customer Question

We have lived together for 13 years but are not maried. there are no children.
I paid for everything, furnitue etc and gave her £500. 00 house keeping as well. She has agood job.
We have always had two cars, paid for by me. 2 months ago I bought a Merc sports car for her use which we called a gift from me to her. She has walk out taking household good s, pictures etc with her and the car. She says that as it was a gift from me to her it is her property. I regard it as a gift within the co habitation as part of our life style. She intends to sell it to raise funds for a deposit on a house. Has she the right to it or can I have it back. If I had known that she intended to leave I would not have bought it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


It all turns on whether you intended it as a gift or paid the money for the car in the expectation that it would be paid back at a later date. From the wording of your post it appears as if it was a simple gift from you to her as a loving couple and therefore you would not be able to sue her to recover the monies.


It it was made plain that she should pay you back the money over a period of time, or that the car was hers only for the period in which you were in a relationship but upon the relationship ceasing it was to be returned to you, then you may be able to sue to recover the monies. Your case here would be stronger if you had documentary evidence of the intended arrangement but you could still issue if you did not, although the reality is that your realistic chances of success would decrease.


If you consider that she has obtained this by deception because of the short period of time between your break up then this conceivably an offence under the Theft Act 1968, although there may be difficulties if you did not actually buy the car. You could use this as leverage and possibly speak to the police to see if they consider it obtaining property by deception.


If the above does not apply then, regrettably, she is under no duty to pay you the money and you may benefit from adopting a less adversarial approach and appealing to her sense of fairness to come to a compromise to either give you some money now or at a defined later date (or repayment plan). Get this in writing.


Sorry it could not be better news, the fact that no couple in a relationship considers these things is not lost on me.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Edited by Tom on 7/16/2010 at 12:06 PM EST
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7004
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)