Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My ex partners mother has died, how can I find out if our

My ex partner's mother has died, how can I find out if our son inherited?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If a grant of probate in the estate has been obtained a copy of his Will will be attached to it, if the estate is passing under the intestacy rules then it will state this as well. You can search the probate calender to see if one has yet been obtained and they pay a fee to receive a copy of it. Follow the instructions on the following site:-

If no grant has been obtained you should make a "standing search" of the calender, which will notify you and send you a copy of the grant if one is take out within 6 months of the date of the search:-

If you are not named as a beneficiary of the Will then the it's is up to the executors whether or not the tell you but in the end if a grant of probate is obtained it becomes a public document so you will be able to tell from that.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,