Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

What happens if I have been citied on divorce proceedings as

What happens if I have been citied on divorce proceedings as the 'other woman' from a one off 'mistake' 13 years ago and apparantly photo graphic evidence?!
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you know if you have been named on the divorce petition and does the adulterous party to the divorce admit the adultery?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sadly I cannot answer these questions. Long story. My manager received a call from the wife saying that she wanted me to know that I am going to be named in the divorce proceedings and there was photographic evidence to back it up. So you can imagine the shame and embarrassing of a 13 year old 'secret' now being talked about.
I suppose what I want to know is will I have to go to court or anything like that. It is shameful enough that a) that it has been brought into the work place and b) I made a big mistake all those years ago.
The 'bloke' left my work place some 3 years ago and I had hoped 'it' would never come out. Fat chance!!!
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

You have my sympathies.

You may not be named on the divorce petition, instead you may be cited anonymously if the person you committed adultery with admits the adultery.

Basically, if the person you were with admits the adultery then you will not hear any more about it.

If the person does not admit the adultery then it's possible that it could proceed on a defended divorces basis, there is a possibility you would be asked to go to Court here but in reality only a tiny fraction of divorce cases are defended in this way. because the legal fees are very large for these.

In all probability she is making mischief and it's coming from a place of hurt. If you are named in the petition and the husband admits it then that's it as far as you are concerned. Even if he does not admit it he may propose divorcing on an unreasonable behaviour petition and this may be accepted by the wife and , again, you will hear no more about it.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tom. Mischief indeed because now my manager knows!! Many thanks for the reassurances and I will have to face the consequences (if any).