Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my daughter is 19 and lives at home. She has a job and friends

my daughter is 19 and lives at home. She has a job and friends in the area. I wish to join my man friend to live permanently at his home 40 miles away. She is welcome to join us but does not want to do so. Can she prevent me moving from my present home and selling it? Thank you

Thanks for your question.

If your daughter is over 18 years of age,does not have a formal tenancy agreement (or other form of agreement giving her a right to occupy in exchange for money) and did not contribute to the financing of your purchase of the property or payment of the mortgage then she has no legal right prevent the sale of the property.

The purchaser's solicitors will ask her to sign the contract of sale for the property as she is an occupier over 18 years of age. If you do not anticipate that she will do this then it would be better for her to seek alternative accommodation at your urging prior to the conveyancing process so that you can answer honestly that there are no other occupiers of the property.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom