How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter is 19 and lives at home. She has a job and friends

This answer was rated:

my daughter is 19 and lives at home. She has a job and friends in the area. I wish to join my man friend to live permanently at his home 40 miles away. She is welcome to join us but does not want to do so. Can she prevent me moving from my present home and selling it? Thank you



Thanks for your question.


If your daughter is over 18 years of age,does not have a formal tenancy agreement (or other form of agreement giving her a right to occupy in exchange for money) and did not contribute to the financing of your purchase of the property or payment of the mortgage then she has no legal right prevent the sale of the property.


The purchaser's solicitors will ask her to sign the contract of sale for the property as she is an occupier over 18 years of age. If you do not anticipate that she will do this then it would be better for her to seek alternative accommodation at your urging prior to the conveyancing process so that you can answer honestly that there are no other occupiers of the property.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions