Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

How can i terminate the parental rights of my ex

How can i terminate the parental rights of my ex? he is currently paying child support after chasing for over a year and he had lied about his earning previously, but he has been an absentee farther for over two years.and has personally said he has no interest in his sons life.

hi

how old is the child and is his father named on the birth certificate - and what do you think "terminating" his rights will mean

claire

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the child is now 3 years old and yes he is named on the birth certificate. basically if anything was to happen to me or he suddenly decided he wanted to be in his son's life but i refused if he is still legally my son's farther he will have custodialrights still correct?

I wish to name another member of my family as legal garudian in my will but do not him to have an rights to challenge this. As far as i am concerned he is an unfit father and i do not want him to have anything to do with my son anymore simply because his name is XXXXX XXXXX brith certificate.

hi

I am afraid that the court will not remove his parental rights in these circumstances at all - that is usually only done in extreme cases of child abuse

indeed even if he did not have parental responisbility he would be entitled to apply for contact

however you do not need to worry too much as if anything happened to you his lack of involvement with the child will make it unlikely that any challenge by him would be successful

claire