Joanne M
Joanne M, Family Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons), experience in matrimonial and child law
12804206

is my wife entitled to half the house

Customer Question

In 2002 my father died and left me a good sum of money, at the time we had £34g ,000 left to pay on our £41,000 morgage, with some of my inheritance I paid £26,000 off the morgage leaving £8,000 which has since been paid off and we own the deeds
My wife and I are now divorcing and I want to know if she is still entitled to half the house because it was not joint money that paid for over half of the morgage but my personel inheritance money
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Joanne M replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Can you answer the following for me please?

1) When did you get married

2) Do you have any children and if so how old are they ?

Joanne

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we where married 28 years ago in 1981 and we have 2 girls there and there ages are 22 and 24
Expert:  Joanne M replied 5 years ago.

thank you

given that it is a long marriage and your children are grown up the starting point will be the equal division of all the family assets (including the equity in the house.) The courts look at a variety of factors however which may tip the balance in favour of one of the parties such as the needs, responsiblities, earning capacity, contributions etc of each. I do not know of your wife's financial situation etc however the court will be looking to find what is the fairest distribution of the assets.Financial contributions are no longer seen as superior to non-financial contributions such as looking after the home and the children and in a divorce settlement the "whats mine is mine and whats yours is yours" philosophy does not apply. The courts have however been known to ring fence inheritance monies and distinguish it to a certain extent from the joint assets. Much depends however on the facts of the case such as how much there is to divide out to re-house both parties etc

You certainly have an argument in your favour as regards XXXXX XXXXX monies but bear in mind that the longer ago the inheritance came about the less relevant it may be deemed to be

kind regards

Joanne

Joanne M, Family Solicitor
Experience: LLB (Hons), experience in matrimonial and child law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
hi
are there any children involved and what other assets are there?
claire